Sunday, August 23, 2009

My Birthing Story: Dade's Arrival

The 1st of August was the day our lives were changed because of the arrival of the wonderful miracle that finally made us a family.

Dade came to this world on a beautiful Saturday afternoon. It was exactly my 39th week that day, and I was due for a check up with my OB-GYNE, Dr. Christian Jozsa at 2:00 in the afternoon.  However, my baby decided to check in that day and gave my OB a different reason to see me.

The magical feeling of anticipation started when I felt water about to gush out of me at 5:40 am. I quickly tossed out of the bed and headed straight to our en-suite bath. Ryan thought I fell off the bed so he asked me if I was alright. I didn't have the chance to reply as I felt my water bag break as soon as I stepped inside the bathroom. I knew Baby Dade was coming out that day.

After I told the husband of the exciting news, I phoned the American Hospital Dubai's Labor Suite to inform them about my condition. I was calmly advised by the nurse to take a warm shower and to have my breakfast before we proceed to the hospital. We woke up my Mom, ate, and prepared to leave. I didn't feel any contractions 'til 6:40 am so I even had the chance to post my status on Facebook :)
As we were leaving the apartment, I felt the first contraction. That's when I realized the pain of true labor. However, my excitement overshadowed the pain, so I was still all smiles when we reached the hospital at 7:10 am. As soon as we got to the Labor Suite, we were immediately assisted by the nurses and midwife. My labor suite was ready, and by 7:25 am, I was IEd and hooked up to the fetal monitor.

The midwife told us that I was only a centimeter dilated. She also openly mentioned her concern about my protruding pubic bone that she felt when she did the IE. She informed my OB about my status who was at the floor then scheduled to perform a cesarian operation that morning. When my doctor saw me after a few minutes, he concurred with the midwife and suggested that I do a bit of walking since I'm not yet fully dilated. We were all hoping I would open up enough to pursue NSD. I did as I was told, and went to the cafeteria downstairs at 8:15 am with Ryan & bessie B who came by as soon as she heard the news about my water bag breaking. As soon as they finished with their meals, we went to the lobby where I did some serious walking.

By 10:00 am, we went back to the Labor Suite where my Mom was waiting for me. With high hopes that I can still deliver via NSD, I was asked by the midwife what type of pain relief I'd like, and without skipping a beat, I just blurted out "epidural". By 10:45 am, I was administered an epi. I was praying so hard the whole time - willing myself not to squirm or move to a slightest inch. The anesthesiologist commented how good I was with the whole thing, and wished me luck with the delivery.

By 12:45 pm, I was already 3 cm dilated. From thereon, I was checked like every 15 minutes or so. After an hour, I was already fully effaced and dilated. The only thing we're waiting for was for baby's head to go lower. While waiting, I was asked by the midwife to lie on my left side hoping to speed up things.

By 3:00 pm, my doctor advised me to try and push as mightily as I can, but after a few attempts, the baby's head remained high. He became utterly concerned with the initial assessment related to my protruding pubic bone, which he believed could make baby's exit from my womb harder because it was slightly blocking the way and created a little corner. Considering Baby D's size and my built, Dr. Jozsa thought an emergency C-section would be a better option for me at that point. However, he still gave it another shot and asked me to wait for another half an hour to see if there will be any changes, and from thereon, a decision will be made.

I talked to Baby D the whole time, asking him to cooperate. But by 3:00 pm, I had to give in for an emergency C-section because despite the number of pushes I did, his head just wouldn't come down. I didn't want to put my baby at risk so I went ahead and signed the form.

At 3:40 pm, I was given a dose of anesthesia for the surgery, prepped by the midwife, then was wheeled in the operating room by 3:50 pm. At the eleventh hour, my conscious side even had the guts to ask what kind of cut will be done. How vain! LOL!

Before the doors of the OR were closed, I asked where my husband was as I wanted him badly to be next to me as I deliver our baby boy. All the nurses assured me that he will be there - he was just asked to wear a scrub suit for the operation.

I was awake the whole time but didn't feel a thing. I could hear my doctor working his way through my skin, gently slicing my belly to take the baby out. In less than 10 minutes, I heard the most beautiful music to my ears - my firstborn's loud cry. It was an emotional moment...I couldn't help but shed tears. And then after a little while, I felt the nurse's hands place him on top of me. seeing him for the first time was one of the most surreal feeling I've ever felt! I kept saying, "Hello, Dade! Mommy's here" over and over again while caressing his face and head.

Baby D came out as a healthy, bouncing baby boy. His APGAR scores were 9/10 and 10/10 :D My doctor told us it was a wise decision to go through the CS. Turns out our dear LO was looking up the whole time that's why his head couldn't be felt every time I was being IE'd. He was also a bit wedged in my protruding pubic bone. Had we gone through NSD, it would've been a tough delivery.
After our brief bonding moment, Baby D was taken to the nursery where he was cleaned. Ryan was asked by the nurses to join him. At the nursery, the proud Daddy took photos and videos, and he was also taught how to clean the baby and change his nappies (yay!). I'm proud to say that hubby mastered the art of nappy changing :)

From the recovery room, I was transfered to my room where my Mom, bessie B, and friend K were waiting for me. I was still feeling groggy then, but was happy to see them all. Just as I was settling in, the new Dad with the baby boy arrived, much to our excitement! I still couldn't believe my baby's already out! :)

I held on to Dade once again, and tried to nurse him for the first time. He looked like a little angel while he was in my arms...sooo cute!!

All in all, it was a blessed day for us. I couldn't thank God enough for giving us Dade and for keeping us both well. Despite the pain of going through labor, i would still be doing it all over again. Seeing my son in my arms made it all worth it.


cheche said...

that's the 1st time i heatd of a protruding pubic bone. Glad it all went well. True k dyan, seeing my bb now, changed my mind about having a 2nd bb. Dati sabi ko one and only. Pro now, i want to have another one. Pro cguro after 2-3yrs p. Bb dade is indeed big. His measurements are bger than cayden's and he was born overdue. Galing ni mami gracie! Take care and hugs to cutie bb dade!

andrea said...

nice grace.. clip this in your daily journal and when the day dade gets married (hahaha-tagal pa nun), bigay mu sa kanya.. very touching. two thumbs up.

Vanniedosa said...

grabe ang birthing story mo gracie; you remembered every detail. :) your son will surely appreciate it when he grows up.

d3nd3n said...

Congratulations Gracie and thanks for sharing your birth story. :)

Joanne MV said...

Wwo! Your birthing story was inspiring. I think all birthing stories are :)

Thank you for sharing it.

Btw sis, I have another blog - Pa-add na lang po sa blog roll mo :)

Thanks sis! Mwah! Hope you and your baby are okay ;)

Gracie said...

hi che,
thank you! ako rin, gusto ko pa rin namin ng baby # 2 & 3 kahit na mahirap, and same timeline din. oo nga eh, Babe is kinda big. sana lang he'll continue to thrive well with my breastmilk :)

Gracie said...

hi drea,
thank you, gurl! i sure will save this for him :)

Gracie said...

hi vannie,
i tried to remember everything...and asked Ryan to jot down the times for me sa planner ko. tsaka sharp kasi memory ko sa mga events eh *hanggang dun lang! hehe!*

Gracie said...

hi den-den,
thanks for the visit! :)

Gracie said...

hi joanne,
thanks, sis! baby & i are doing great. and yep, updated your url already :)

Mich said...

awww, such a detailed and touching birthing story. I love it! Makes me remember my birthing story too :)

congrats Mommy Gracie! :) looking forward to more photos of the little one...