Sunday, July 20, 2008

Aggie wants to know # 3: halfway there

how’d your first six months go? and what are you looking forward to the next six months?

unlike many others, i didn’t create a New Year’s Resolution list. don’t get me wrong - i love making lists because it gets me organized on a lot of things. but when 2008 kicked in, i decided to just go with the flow and not make any resolutions list to live by for the year. i wanted to be less OC and eradicate my bad habit of worrying too much because i wanted this year to be more relaxing and a bit carefree than usual. later, i’ll explain why. of course, i still made plans for this year, and so far, i can safely say that i’ve managed to stick with those plans – both for myself and for me and the husband as a couple.

top 3 plans for the year:
1.) travel abroad for leisure
2.) lose weight
3.) conceive

this year is a milestone for me & Ryan. we both celebrate our 30th this year, so one of the plans we’ve made is to make it truly memorable by traveling somewhere exotic to treat ourselves. we’ve allocated a portion of our savings to explore a new place, and we’re sure glad we’ve done so. one thing we promised ourselves before getting married is to visit a new place and try something we’ve never done before each year. it’s to help keep our minds and bodies feel young, as well as to discover more things about each other. God is so good to us by blessing us abundantly that we are able to keep up with this kind of lifestyle.

another thing we’ve planned for 2008 is to live a healthier lifestyle. gone are the days when we can simply binge eat whenever we feel like it, or laze around just because we want to, even thought there’s lots of things we can and need to do. and so we decided to cut down on our eating out trips, and enroll ourselves to a fitness club. we started a new habit, which we are starting (and trying with all our might) to love.

having a baby is also something we are planning for this year. we believe we are now ready to become parents, and God-willing, we want to start conceiving this year to welcome our bambino next year. this is our fervent wish, and we hope this wish will be granted soon. this is also the reason why i am taking things easy this year – trying to devoid my life of unnecessary stress or unwanted anxiety attack. enough worrying already! (although i think as soon as i started to let go, my husband absorbed all my worries! LOL!)

HALFWAY THERE:

January – started the year with a not-so-loud bang
first New Year’s Eve celebration away from home. not so much fun, but managed to survive it. finally gave in to the call of a
new mobile phone, and realized that i must start wearing spectacles. first experience of heavy rains and flooding in the UAE.

February – extremely happy
decided to put my writing skills to good use by submitting an article to the DIFC Diary, which earned me an
Apple iPod Nano instantly. celebrated Valentine's Day with the husband by spending a weekend in Al Ain, Abu Dhabi. we definitely loved that road trip!

March – busy as a bee
one of the busiest months at
work. we sponsored a big event, which needed 101% of my attention and time. my residence visa in UAE expired, too, so its renewal was something i had to deal with, among other things. even on weekends, i was also in full throttle at home. so many things needed to be done, and de-cluttering was one of ‘em.

April – photography & travel
got formally introduced to photography. nope, not me, but my hubby. i got him his first
dslr camera from the bonus i received that month. good thing i did because it brought me a much needed ME time when he tagged along for a shoot one Friday afternoon. we also attended the wedding of my former team mate at work, Maie, and her fiancé Ahmad. on the same month i flew to the U.S. to attend a conference.

May – unleashing the other facets of me
yes, May was a joyous month where i enjoyed expressing my
inner child. i was like an 8-year old who goofed around, and innocently said out loud the names of my crushes. thanks to Aggie's men hunt tag, which Kelly passed on to me, i had a good excuse to express ‘kilig’ over celebrities who make me blush and scream inside…hehe! and since i had access to US stores and outlet malls during my business trip, the shopaholic in me struck again! around the same time, i discovered the discrepancies made by my bank that affected my pension plan. i was a tigress who fought with all my valor to save what i have worked hard for.

June – celebrating life
i turned
30 in Dubai, surrounded by my husband, my cousins, and friends i’ve made here in my second home. one of the most memorable celebrations i ever had! finally had an EB with fellow blogger, Chung & her husband. about the same month, i, together with Ryan, joined the Fitness First and began hitting the gym religiously.

2008 Wrap Up – First Half Edition:

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE THAT YOU’VE NEVER DONE BEFORE?
this is so lame, but i’ve never, ever shopped that much in my entire life in just one occasion. i was Becky Bloomwood for a week while i was in the States. $2,500 went kaput in less than 5 days!

DID YOU KEEP YOUR NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTIONS?
i didn’t make any new year’s resolution so this is not applicable.

DID ANYONE CLOSE TO YOU GIVE BIRTH?
none.

DID ANYONE CLOSE TO YOU DIE?
our nextdoor neighbor in Manila, who was a close family friend (he was my youngest sister’s Godfather)

WHAT COUNTRIES DID YOU VISIT?
United States of America.

WHAT WOULD YOU LIKE TO HAVE FOR THE REST OF THE YEAR THAT YOU LACKED EARLY THIS YEAR?
a new bag…hahaha!! (how materialistic!) seriously, a baby growing in my tummy.

WHAT DATE WILL REMAIN ETCHED UPON YOUR MEMORY AND WHY?
June 20, 2008 - my birthday. celebrating it felt like getting on an emotional rollercoaster ride.

WHAT WAS YOUR BIGGEST ACHIEVEMENT OF THE YEAR?
learning to forgive and forget…sincerely.

WHAT WAS YOUR BIGGEST FAILURE?
like
Aggie, not taking care of me (i.e. not trying harder to lose weight, not drinking the required amount of water i should be drinking to prevent UTI attacks, forgetting to take my vitamins & iron capsules). so much for my wish for good health!

DID YOU SUFFER ILLNESS OR INJURY?
none, thank God! but i did live through the worst back pain i’ve ever had in my lifetime. it was horrible! and just reminiscing about it makes me squirm again. thankfully, i have a caring husband who patiently gave me a soothing back rub for about a couple of hours while i was screaming & crying in pain.

WHAT WAS THE BEST THING YOU BOUGHT?
a
Canon 40D slr camera for hubby. it gave him so much joy! quite a useful gadget, too!

WHOSE BEHAVIOR MERITED CELEBRATION?
my husband. i’ve never expected so much love to receive from just one person.

WHOSE BEHAVIOR MADE YOU APPALLED AND DEPRESSED?
a very close HS friend who forgot to tell me that she got married (and she was one of my attendants during our wedding!)

WHERE DID MOST OF YOUR MONEY GO?
shopping, paying bills and savings

WHAT DID YOU GET REALLY, REALLY, REALLY EXCITED ABOUT?
my trip to the US. after more than 15 years, i got to see my Uncle Regie (Dad’s eldest brother), Aunt Malou, and my cousins.

WHAT SONG(S) WILL ALWAYS REMIND YOU OF THINGS THAT HAPPENED EARLY THIS YEAR?
- David Cook’s rendition of “Always Be My Baby” – we got hooked to this year’s American Idol.
- All of High School Musicale’s songs – watched Part I & Part II on the plane bound to the US. those songs remind me of my memorable trip to California.

COMPARED TO THIS TIME, LAST YEAR, ARE YOU:
I. HAPPIER OR SADDER?
definitely happier :D
II. THINNER OR FATTER?
i hate to say this, but i’m fatter (maybe because i’m happier!)
III. RICHER OF POORER?
a bit richer, i guess.

WHAT DO YOU WISH YOU’D DONE MORE?
i wish i’d given more to charity, or at least been involved in any charity work. i used to be active on these kind of things, but now, i feel like i’m a passive, apathetic person. i feel so bad about it :(

WHAT DO YOU WISH YOU’D DONE LESS OF?
procrastinating…tsk, tsk!

HOW WILL YOU BE SPENDING CHRISTMAS?
we’re going home to Pinas.

DID YOU FALL IN LOVE?
yes, countless of times…to LV bags, Aldo, Nine West & Zara pairs of shoes, and MAC make up! hehe!! of course, i keep falling in love over and over again with Ryan!

HOW MANY ONE-NIGHT STANDS?
none.

WHAT WAS YOUR FAVORITE TV PROGRAM?
Grey’s Anatomy.

DO YOU HATE ANYONE NOW THAT YOU DIDN’T HATE THIS TIME LAST YEAR?
hate is a very strong word. i guess i’m just annoyed with that person.

WHAT WAS THE BEST BOOK YOU READ?
A Time Traveler’s Wife by Audrey Niffeneger. magnificent book! fun reads were Sophie Kinsella’s Shopaholic Series.

WHAT WAS YOUR GREATEST MUSICAL DISCOVERY?
High School Musicale teeny bopper music…hahaha!! :P

WHAT DID YOU WANT AND GET?
a pair of baguette diamond small hoop earrings. it was hubby’s (civil) wedding anniversary gift to me.

WHAT WAS YOUR FAVORITE FILM OF THIS YEAR?
Kung Fu Panda :)

WHAT DID YOU DO ON YOUR BIRTHDAY, AND HOW OLD WERE YOU?
i threw a
birthday party, with a bowling theme. i turned 3 decades old.

WHAT ONE THING WOULD HAVE MADE YOUR HALF YEAR IMMEASURABLY MORE SATISFYING?
conceiving.

HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONAL FASHION CONCEPT THIS PAST HALF YEAR?
i’m wearing more dresses now during casual Thursdays at work.. i’m forever a fan of stiletto heels, but these past few months, i’ve begun investing on girly bling slides. my choices for clothes are classic pieces, same with my shoes & bags. they may be safe, but they never go wrong. i also take time to put on make up in the morning just to add a little color to my face.

WHAT KEPT YOU SANE?
Ryan. internet. my favorite series.

WHICH CELEBRITY / PUBLIC FIGURE DID YOU FANCY THE MOST?
Patrick Dempsey.

WHAT POLITICAL ISSUE STIRRED YOU THE MOST?
since i’m not in the Philippines, i don’t read or watch the news back home. i know it sounds too indifferent and cold, but it keeps me from feeling stressed out and worried (i easily get carried away by bad news).

WHO DID YOU MISS?
my family – Dad, Mom & siblings :(

2 comments:

Kelly said...

gracie dear, i hope your baby-making (haha) plans will be successful. i really do :)

Gracie said...

thanks, kelly! i really, really appreciate it :)
gusto rin kasi naming mag-Euro Disney pero with a child in tow ;-)